Found exclusively in Wisconsin and Illinois, Woodman's Markets, also known simply as Woodman's, operates a chain of grocery stores with a little over a dozen locations. The Midwest supermarket primarily offers entry-level job opportunities, which prove ideal for part-time or inexperienced applicants. The popular, regional food retailer also features professional careers in management and photo services. Despite operating as a smaller chain, the company employs around 2,000 individuals and ranks as a top independent chain nationwide.
Facts About Working at Woodman's Market
Hiring Age: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Woodman's Market?)
Available Positions: Cashier, Grocery Store Clerk, Wine Department Clerk, Night Stocker, Food Service Clerk, Baker, Cake Decorator, Produce Clerk, Checker, Market Cleanup, Sacker, Pharmacy Technician, Dish Retail Clerk, Bakery Department Clerk, Maintenance Technician, Dishwasher, Sales and Sampling Clerk, Assistant Service Manager, Service Manager, Meat Clerk, Meat Wrapper, Meat Cutter, Cleaning Specialist, Assistant Store Manager, General Store Manager
Woodman’s Markets Job Opportunities
Most entry-level applicants find work as frontend associates or in various departments throughout each store. The average Woodman’s Markets location features produce, dairy, meat, baked goods, frozen foods, and general grocery departments. Customers also enjoy large liquor departments, which need staffed by responsible and reliable individuals, as well. In-house photo labs and back stockrooms also facilitate steady employment opportunities for entry-level workers. The grocery store conducts hiring for department supervisors and store managers as needs arise.
Located in the American Midwest, Woodman’s Markets traditionally promotes family values reflected through exceptional, personalized customer service. Applicants able to accommodate patron needs while completing daily assigned tasks represent ideal fits for available positions. The supermarket consistently hires on workers above the age of 16 as well as caters to younger applicants able to obtain the proper paperwork for underage employment from local governments. Visit a local store for more information or begin the hiring process by filling out an online application form.
Woodman’s Markets Positions and Salary Information
The regional supermarket chain hires experienced and inexperienced individuals to fill entry-level jobs available. Workers assuming more professional, long-term roles with the food retailer must generally meet stricter guidelines for employment consideration. The most common job titles for hire include:
- The position of cashier puts associates at the head of Woodman’s Markets grocery stores.
- Typical job duties entail operating cash registers, assisting in sales, and answering questions about products, services, and policies.
- Cashiers may also undertake bagger duties, if necessary.
- Applicants may fill out applications for part-time or full-time cashier opportunities.
- Workers stand for long periods of time and perform manual labor with regularity, including bending, stooping, and lifting up to 50lbs. of goods.
- Basic math skills often prove redeemable for aspiring cashiers.
- The supermarket regularly pays cashiers between minimum wage and $12.00 an hour.
- An all-inclusive job title, the position of clerk actually includes several employment opportunities available throughout each supermarket location.
- Clerk jobs stand readily available in departments like baked goods, frozen foods, liquor, produce, meat, and dairy.
- Workers may also assume stock clerk jobs featuring day and night shift capabilities.
- Some clerk positions require acute or specialized skills for employment consideration.
- Minimal physical requirements, such as the ability to lift 50lbs. or more with regularity and perform other manual tasks, may influence final hiring decisions.
- Availability and reliable transportation also factor into employment decisions.
- Applicants with sales skills or related experience may receive additional nods.
- Clerks may make anywhere from minimum wage to hourly pay in excess of $12.00.
- Job opportunities at the managerial level include work in service management and store management.
- Service managers work directly in supermarket departments and oversee customer service, entry-level employee functions, sales, and day-to-day departmental operations.
- Store managers oversee total in-store operations and communicate directly with the company corporate offices.
- Although at various levels, managers across Woodman’s Markets stores hire and train new employees, set schedules, analyze sales and marketing campaigns, and ensure customer satisfaction.
- Assistant service managers and assistant store managers regularly need at least some relevant experience for employment consideration as well as high school diplomas.
- Service managers and store managers need extensive experience in positions of leadership as well as high school diplomas and possible college degrees, depending on previous work history.
- Assistant service managers and assistant store managers generally make around $30,000 per year.
- Annual salary options for service managers and store managers vary with experience but generally range between $45,000 and $55,000.
Tips For Applying
Woodman’s Markets hours of operations require candidates to work varied schedules upon hire. Applicants should be ready to assume overnight, weekend, early morning, and holiday shifts readily when sending in hiring forms. Workers should also take into account the physical natures of most grocery store jobs, especially when factoring in potentially late nights. Recruitment managers routinely ask about availability during the application process as well as favorite aspects of previous jobs, so brush up on employment history heading into the process for best results.
A smaller chain of grocers, Woodman’s primarily utilizes paper hiring forms. Handing in a paper hiring form allows each candidate to ask about the next steps in the employment process onsite. Based on the credentials and overall appearances of applicants, managers will immediately sit down and conduct interviews with candidates. However, workers may have to check back and follow up at a later time. Timing a store visit during slower hours is one way reach back out to managers, as is making a brief phone call.
Benefits of Working at Woodman’s Markets
Employees enjoy supportive working environments and competitive wages upon at Woodman’s stores. The regional grocer also offers potential for career growth through training programs. After three years, associates become fully vested and receive employee stock options. Additional work benefits available include:
- Paid time off
- Healthcare coverage, and
- 401(k) retirement plans
The employee-owned chain may uphold varying requirements for employment benefits qualification store to store; however, most full-time workers with the company exceeding the three-year grace period gain access to job benefits packages.
Additional Information on Woodman’s Markets
Although a small, regional chain, the supermarket maintains a sizeable presence online through social media. Shoppers may access regular updates on deal and discounts as well as products sold in-store via Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and FourSquare. The Midwest food retailer offers a link to each social media page through a Social Media tab found on the homepage of the company website. Each individual store maintains corresponding social media pages, as well.