One of the candle industry's most recognizable brands, Yankee Candle seeks enthusiastic employees to work within more than 500 company-owned retail stores to provide outstanding customer service and sales-oriented work.
Facts About Working at Yankee Candle Company
Hiring Age: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Yankee Candle Company?)
Available Positions: Candle maker, cashier, customer service rep, management, sales associate
Yankee Candle Job Opportunities
Yankee Candle offers positions ranging from seasonal sales associate to store manager, which allows applicants to explore part-time, full-time, and seasonal entry-level opportunities. Seasonal positions prove especially ideal for college students and allow employment re-entry during summers and extended breaks. Most jobs require customer interaction, but some lie on the production side of operations and require little socializing.
The renowned retail chain puts an emphasis on employee interaction with customers. Upbeat, personable job prospects routinely receive encouragement to apply for sales associates positions, and if applicable, managerial positions. Sales associates who excel with outstanding customer service and sales abilities often land managerial positions after some time with the company. Hiring requirements for managerial roles may include high school diplomas and supervisory experience.
Yankee Candle Positions and Salary Information
Yankee Candle hires employees as young as 16 years old. Inexperienced workers often find employment as sales associates or candle makers. More experienced applicants may land managerial positions. The company encourages applicants to submit job application forms online. A list of positions regularly available to job seekers follows:
- Candidates filling sales associate positions take on the duties of selling products, providing guest services, assisting in merchandise restocking, and store maintenance.
- The retailer also expects crew members to maintain knowledge of products sold and promotions offered in order to assist customers.
- Yankee Candle values customer in-store experiences, so sales associates should exhibit “stage presence,” by displaying personable and engaging attitudes at all times.
- Flexible schedules and abilities to lift 25 lbs. to 35 lbs. on a regular basis serve as musts for employment consideration.
- The average sales associate makes between $7.00 and $8.00 an hour.
Customer Service Rep
- A position free of in-person interactions, customer service rep jobs still require team members to perform at high levels and exude friendliness and helpfulness via telephone calls, emails, and letters.
- Job hopefuls seeking entry-level, part-time work requiring a high school education should apply.
- Daily tasks include contacting customers, placing orders, reviewing gift certificates, and processing returns.
- The average customer service employee makes between $8.00 and $9.00 per hour.
- Candle maker jobs represent common positions for potentials with solid work histories and openness to receiving training.
- Responsibilities include packaging, assembling, and completing candle products.
- Candle makers must possess detail-oriented personalities and the ability to stand for up to eight hours at a time.
- Workers should also feel comfortable lifting up to 40 lbs. at a given time.
- A flexible schedule, including overtime, holiday, and weekend availability, remains a typical requirement for employment.
- Candle makers regularly enjoy hourly pay between $7.00 and $8.00.
- Full-time and part-time managerial positions offered at Yankee Candle require two to three years of prior supervisory experience.
- Selected workers may assume the titles retail of store manager or retail store assistant manager based on personal qualifications.
- Managers in both positions oversee daily sales, crew member performances, store appearance, and security.
- Managers also take responsibility for training employees and submitting cash reports and merchandise orders.
- A flexible schedule, including willingness to work extended hours, weekends, and holidays, also proves necessary for managerial careers.
- The average retail store assistant manager receives between $10.00 and $13.00 in hourly wages, while retail store managers enjoy annual salary rates between $34,000 and $52,000.
Tips For Applying
Job hopefuls should research Yankee Candle products, including the 150-plus scents and various products, before filling out job applications in order to demonstrate interest in the brand. Knowledge of what the retail chain sells displayed throughout the application and interviewing processes regularly leads to preferential treatment by recruitment staff. Personable demeanors also lead to hire, so practicing a pleasant attitude, eye contact, and listening skills prior to interviewing aid success. The company prefers candidates apply online, which allows for an accelerated reviewing process. Resumes and cover letters should also accompany submitted applications. The application process begins by clicking the Careers link at the bottom of the company homepage. Applicants may also access in-person applications retrieved at the Human Resources office on week days during business hours.
After completing online submissions, applicants receive automated confirmation receipts via email. Only applicants with the proper experience and qualifications receive further contact. Candidates may also visit or call locations to ask about the status of a job application. Time follow-up contact to appropriate business hours. Avoid peak times of the day when managers or hiring staff may not take phone calls or check emails or even entertain in-person inquiries regarding employment decisions.
Benefits of Working at Yankee Candle
Yankee Candle employees develop leadership, customer interaction, and sales abilities, while enjoying the various benefits plans available to full-time, part-time, and seasonal workers. Full-time satellite retail team members prove eligible for medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, short- and long-term disability, 401(k) plans, paid vacation time, and sick days. Part-time retail associates receive limited purpose medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401(k) retirement plans, and paid vacation time. Seasonal full-time and part-time workers may receive:
- Limited purpose medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 401(k) plans, and
- Flexible scheduling.
Workers may also take advantage of employee discounts and promotional advancement opportunities rewarded upon recognition of outstanding work.
More Information on Yankee Candle
Job hopefuls and customers alike access the Yankee Candle website for information about products and sales. Information about career opportunities, work benefits, hiring practices, and employee testimonials also remain available at the bottom of the page under the Careers tab. Studying the company promise, which also features prominently on the site, regularly helps applicants construct cover letters, tailor resumes to showcase relevant experience, and display knowledge about the company during potential interviews.