Started as a single retail store in a Seattle mall, specialty retail clothier Zumiez maintains over 400 retail locations across the U.S. Known for cutting-edge clothing, footwear, and accessories, the chain offers candidates with like-minded tastes rewarding opportunities for employment.
Facts About Working at Zumiez
Hiring Age: 16 years old (How old do you have to be to work at Zumiez?)
Available Positions: Cashier, customer service representative, keyholder, management, sales associate
Zumiez Interview Videos
Zumiez Job Opportunities
With a focus on the skate and snow industries, Zumiez maintains a varied selection of action-sports-related clothing for the discerning customer. Applicants with a love of surfing, snowboarding, and skating and a desire to work in the retail industry tend to make a good match for available jobs. Entry-level applicants usually work in sales associate positions assisting customers in making selections and taking payments. Other positions may include working in stockrooms and replenishing merchandise on the sales floor.
Roles in management may prove beneficial for candidates with prior experience in the fashion retail industry and desires to find long-term careers. Typically needing to meet more than the general hiring requirements for most entry-level positions, managers and supervisors should possess high school diplomas and at least two years of leadership experience. Managers retain responsibility for building and maintaining a customer base and maximizing sales results. A manager may eventually find roles in the company corporate offices or in regional or district management over time, as well.
Positions and Salary Information for Zumiez
The minimum hiring age stands at 16 for applicants interested in working for the specialty clothing retailer, which creates perfect part-time opportunities for individuals attending school. Additionally, with flexible hours and shifts, employees may find working at Zumiez beneficial for applicants from a variety of walks of life, need, and desire. Consistently available positions remain listed below:
- A sales associate provides customer service utilizing suggestive selling techniques and kind, genial, helpful assistance.
- Ideal candidates show motivation, determination, and the ability to interact consistently with the public.
- Sales associates typically earn minimum hourly wage to start.
- Employees must demonstrate an ability to lift, push, pull, and stand for a majority of given shifts and should show flexibility in availability.
- Cashiers ring out guests and handle final transactions.
- Hourly rates begin at minimum wage but are subject to increase over time.
- Individuals who have people skills along with knowledge of store products come in handy to fill this position.
- Supervisors must typically possess additional experiences in management and retail service and may also need supplementary education or trainings to qualify for managerial roles with the company.
- Assistant managers often earn between $11.00 and $12.00 an hour initially, while store managers may earn up to $40,000 in annual salary options.
- Managers should demonstrate a sound understanding of leadership roles, developing teams, and minimizing loss of inventory and sales through excellent motivation, customer service, and overall knowledge of retail operations.
Tips for Applying
With focus on action sports like skating, surfing, and snowboarding, Zumiez prefers applicants with a sustained enjoyment of such activities. Dressing in fashions found in store when dropping off a paper application may catch the eye of store management and may also lead to preferential treatment with the company, including on-the-spot interviews. For candidates wishing to apply online, the company career page directs applicants to create user profiles allowing for multiple applications at once. Gather relevant hiring information ahead of time to ensure clarity, correctness, and timeliness of data. Set aside around twenty minutes to create a profile in order to reuse the same information for each position desired.
Store personnel tend to contact applicants within one to two weeks of receiving hiring information to set up interviews either in store or via telephone. Job seekers should utilize common sense when contacting stores or hiring managers to check on applications when not receiving contact from the store first. Call or visit stores during off-peak hours and ask directly for a manager, while remaining considerate of the number of duties a manager typically performs throughout the course of a day. Wear appropriate attire when visiting stores in person in order to make positive impressions on staff and any manager who may speak with candidates.
Benefits of Working at Zumiez
Along with industry-competitive pay scales and flexible scheduling, the action-sports retail chain offers employees a host of job benefits. Most full-time associates enjoy eligibility for healthcare benefits, such as:
- Prescription medication and flexible spending accounts
Additionally, workers may access sick time, paid time off, and vacation pay. Most employees also mention receiving discounts on merchandise.
Additional Information about Zumiez
The Zumiez Foundation purchases clothing and related items in order to make grants to both people in need and the organizations serving such communities. Typical recipients include youth centers, homeless shelters, religious organizations, and other transitional programs. The foundation also focuses on teaching Zumiez employees the values of giving back by encouraging staff to channel energy, passion, and leadership into community organizations. Started by founder Tom Campion and formalized in 2005 as a private foundation, the organization donated over 180,000 items to more than 180 organizations in 21 states as of 2012.